Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Screwed, Blued, and Tattooed

I've been trying to get help with the anemia I just found out about a week ago Monday, and finally decided to go to the ER today even though I felt in my gut that they wouldn't do anything. I posted on a few of my DS groups, and nearly unanimously found that most people had bad experiences in the ER with getting help for anemia and an iron infusion. I think I'm just going to skip the patronization and degradation of that experience, especially since all three hospitals in the area have some of the worst Yelp reviews I've ever seen. Wowza.

Today I woke up very nauseous. I leaned over the sink for a while, but nothing happened, so I drank some water and that helped.

Every time I stand up, I just about pass out--I get that snowy TV fuzzy look, that's all I can see, then it fades away as I'm wobbling all over the place with my arms out.

Last week, a toenail fell out. I thought that was weird. Turns out, it can be iron deficiency anemia-related. Huh.

I feel rundown. Exhausted. My weight keeps going down. I was starving and ate all day long yesterday, nearly all protein, and I still lost a pound. Huh.

I was putting together a list of things to tell the hospital so I could either just hand it to them or have my husband go over everything with them. Here is part of what I had along with my prescriptions, supplements, and all three doctors info:

DX:  ANEMIA

SYMPTOMS:
·         Shortness of breath
·         Fatigue
·         Dizziness upon standing—very close to blacking out
·         Toenails falling out
·         Malabsportion from Duodenal Switch with Biliopancreatic Diversion March 2014 (weight loss surgery NOT the RnY, i.e. gastric bypass—totally different surgery) with Dr. XYZ of XXX, CA (see attached diagram)

LAB RESULTS FROM 6/19/15 (See copy)
·         Hemoglobin:  11.7
·         RBC:  3.81
·         Ferritin, Serum: 11
·         Iron Saturation:  14

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
o   I was taking two ProFerrin Polypeptide Heme Iron tablets (Each tablet contains 10.5
mg of elemental iron as Heme Iron Polypeptide.)  per day per Dr.’s instructions for over a year. Iron is still extremely low.

o   Iron infusion indicated

***

I don't think I'm going to go to the ER. I think it will just be a waste of time. I have to go to the dentist at 3:30 to get my final fitting for my partial and full uppers. If I don't go today, I can't see him again until next Tuesday as he is only in our area on Mon and Tues. I can do that. Walk to car. Let husband drive. Walk from car to lobby, from lobby to exam room, and back. I can do it.

I also skipped the oncology appointment today. What for? It's a meet n' greet appointment, I won't be able to see him again until we have our new insurance through the ACA, and who knows how long that will take--last summer took four months. We had employer-sponsored insurance by the time it ground its way through the system. We went to social services this time to get human beings to walk us through it. First we had to apply and wait to get rejected for Medi-Cal. We did that last week, haven't heard anything back, and so we're going to stop by there tomrrow on the way to pick up my husband's last paycheck. Or maybe he'll do it while I'm at the dentist. I forget. Whatever. They're getting a visit from us.

I'm depressed. Everything is going to hell. I can't make it better. I don't like it when I can't control things or make them better or go the way I want/need. I find it extremely frustrating. Who wouldn't? Jeez Louise.

I'm going to find some clothes to wear to the dentist. I think a dress because it's damn hot. This requires putting on a bra. Oh joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment