Monday, October 26, 2015

Clafouti II & III

The first clafouti is one by Martha Stewart and which I've modified for low carbs. The recipe is as follows, my changes in red. It is delicious. I have a slice (1/6 th of pie) every morning for breakfast.

Officially, it is considered a clafouti only if cherries are used, otherwise it is considered a floginarde. Personally, I like the word clafouti, so in this space, I will be referring to this recipe, regardless of fruit type, as a clafouti. I think you'll like it.

CLAFOUTI II

Unsalted butter, for dish ( or spray like Pam; I use a standard glass pie pan 9")

2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk I used 3 whole eggs
1/3 cup all-purpose flour equivalent amount of almond flour
3/4 cup creme fraiche, plus more for serving I used sour cream
3/4 cup whole milk I used 2% milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar I used Target's knockoff brand Splenda Baking Mix
2 teaspons pure vanilla  I use a tablespoon and a half
1/2 teaspon salt
12 ounces cherries, halved and pitted I used fresh raspberries, about 6 ounces

I have also added the zest of a whole lemon--very good with raspberries--and cinnamon both with and without fruit. It was very good with peaches when they were in season.

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch baking dish, 1 1/4 inches deep. Coat with granulated sugar; tap out excess. (I do not recommend this.) Whisk eggs, yolk, and flour in a medium bowl; whisk in creme fraiche, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt.

Arrange cherries in prepared dish. I scatter my berries over the top after pouring batter into dish. Strain batter over cherries (I didn't bother). Bake until browned around edges and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly. Serve warm with creme fraiche or, if you're me, whipped cream.

I simply put everything into a blender, blend for 30 seconds, pour into butter pie pan, scatter berries or other fruit over the top, and bake as directed. Delish! Note: The clafouti will puff up, almost like a souffle, and then deflate after cooling--this is normal. Store in fridge. I like to warm up my breakfast slice for about 20-30 seconds in the nuker; it just makes it more flavorful.

CLAFOUTI III

I made the same recipe as above, however, I got it mixed up in my head with my first, much earlier clafouti recipe and I made the following differences:

six whole eggs
10 ounces milk
2 ounces heavy whipping cream

This made a very crusty, sweet clafouti that I think I like more than either of the previous two. It is also more protein heavy. I was out of berries, so I added cinnamon and it is very good. Berries is better, but it is still very good without them.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment