Saturday, May 10, 2014

No Rhyme or Reason

So my new body has some weird new behaviors.  Like despite clean eating (protein shake am, ham and cream cheese rollups, 2 - 3 depending on hunger level, for lunch and dinner, 100 oz of fluids, protein shake for dinner/before bedtime for a total of 100 grams of protein for the day), Monday I had 90 minutes of diarrhea. Good thing I had my Kindle. Tuesday more but less severe diarrhea, Wednesday more diarrhea, AND my weight went up four pounds.

Thursday night, my husband found some coupons to El Pollo Loco. I hadn't cooked dinner because we had planned to go out to celebrate an accomplishment of his, but he was told he wouldn't be given the news for another 24 hours. So El Pollo it was.

I had half of a drumstick, four bites of mashed potatoes and gravy, two bites of rice, and half a corn tortilla with butter. So good. I gave the rest to R, which he devoured.

The result?

Constipation.

I finally went when I got up this morning and it was like a rock. And my weight is back down four pounds.

What the hell?

It all seems so arbitrary.

Things that "should" according to literature, doctors, and other DS patients, give me diarrhea, constipate me instead; and things that "should" give me normal (for a DS patient) bowel movements, may or may not give me diarrhea.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Also--now that I'm feeling about 75% better, and my weight loss is slowing down, it's time to start real exercising. I push a cart around Target, the grocery store, or other big stores, about 4-5 days a week, and try to do more than one lap around the store (a big improvement over feeling so tired/shitty I had to use the store scooter) because for some reason pushing the cart relieves the stress and pain on my bad back (I broke a vertebrate sledding in the mountains when I was 17.). Regular walking, without holding onto something, kills my back. The pain can be intense. So I think I'd like to A) join a gym and use their exercise bikes (no weight lifting just yet) and B) get a bicycle. A real bike. For an adult (my current bike requires me to pedal bent over as the handlebars are too low and it's very uncomfortable.). I'm going to try some walking around the neighborhood and see how it goes.

I feel like every day is a constant experiment--and results may vary. So weird.

And I really want a big salad with chunks and bleu cheese and meat on it. Or a Thai shrimp salad with peanut dressing. Donuts and pie and other sweets sound so disgusting.

Just weird.

Life's tough. Get a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment