Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tenth Anniversary Mini VaCay to Pismo Beach.


We went to Pismo Beach Thursday night for our ten year, first date anniversary. It's only a few hours from where we live inland, and I had been dying to see the ocean for months. It's the sweetest little town with family owned restaurants, hotels, motels, condo rentals, etc. It's a tourist vacation spot. I wish we could have stayed longer than one night, but appointments and obligations were awaiting us starting on Friday.

I found us a B-grade, reasonably-priced hotel room two blocks from the ocean. It was a nice room, not too fancy, but clean, recently painted, fresh and soft cotton sheets, and big fluffy pillows. Too bad we didn't get much use of it, but I'll tell you that story later.

I hadn't walked on sand since I broke my ankle two years ago and I was wondering how that would go especially since the tide was extremely low. It didn't bother and I huffed and puffed my still overweight self out to the water while R found a parking space. That enabled him to take this photo of me, in a white linen dress I bought almost seven years ago (for $10!), that I had planned to wear on a beach excursion but never did. It still had the tag on it. It was a little too big, but I wanted to wear it at least once before I sell it on eBay. I love this shot.


The water here is north of Pt. Conception which means the water comes from Alaska, and it was glacial!! It felt so good to have the waves lap around our ankles. Brisk would be an understatement. In fact, the metal in my previously broken ankle started tightening up and felt so strange--it felt "extra cold." But I loved it. So did R.


We had such a good time. I found a pretty smoothed rock; half of a sand dollar; and some razor clams still attached to each other that looked like angel wings. We walked down the beach a ways, and as the sun started going down it got chillier and windier so we decided to walk back up to the seawall and watch the sun go down behind the Pismo Beach Pier. We held hands and laughed a lot.

This is looking inland before it got dark. And yeah, that was a lot of sand to huff and puff over to get to the water, but it was worth it and my body needs the exercise.



This is looking inland through the Pismo Beach pier at the cities of Pismo and Shell Beach. The lights were just coming on.




This picture is facing east toward the Pismo Beach sand dunes. Those are quite popular with ATV'rs.
We didn't go--just not enough time, and we don't have ATVs.



This is my favorite picture of the trip, maybe even frame-able. :-)


We drove around and did some sightseeing for a while and also looking for a place to have dinner. We ended up in Shell Beach at the Shell Beach Brewhouse Bar and Grill. It was fabulous. I had lobster bisque. I think it was the best soup I may have ever had. It was tomato and broth-based, not cream-based, and it took me an hour, but I ate every bit of it. Just wow. If you're ever in the area, I really recommend it. R had some type of chicken sandwich that had "curry remoulade" on the side and a salad made with "dark beer and pomegranate juice." I tasted both and they were delish.

By the time we got back to our room it was after 10:30. There was a pool, but I still can't swim as I have an open belly wound (which is doing much, much, much better), and we were both really tired. A long drive, a long walk on the beach, and we were tuckered out. We both got on the net for about an hour and then decided to go to sleep; we were too tired for any "shenanigans." *wink*

Everything was going great until 5 am when something wrong with my body woke me up and I ended up surrounded by EMTs, fire department, and one police officer--all handsome and very nice--and then I got to ride in an ambulance to the local hospital. Good times! Not.

That's in the next post.

But Pismo otherwise? Was just what our souls ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment