Friday, February 7, 2014

Surgery for Better Health

So...I talked to a friend tonight about my surgery and about some of the unexpected costs I am suddenly facing. She said "Have a fundraiser." I paused. I didn't know if I wanted to have one--I had one two years ago in July to help pay for a month of COBRA so I could get treatment for cancer--treatment that I did received and for which I am now NED (no evidence of disease), and hope to remain that way *fingerscrossed*

So I told her..."I would feel like an asshole asking for more money."

"Are you kidding!?" she said. "There are people out there asking for money for boob jobs! This is about your health!"

That made a lot of sense.
.
So I started a fundraiser at YouCaring.com.  You can visit it here WLS Exenses Fundraiser. There are no fees associated with this fundraising site unlike other sites. All donations go directly to the person for whom funds are being raised.

I don't have high hopes of hitting my goal, but if you don't ask, then the answer is always 100% NO.

So here's where I am.

I need $3,000- to give to the surgeon--one week before surgery or it will be cancelled--to cover two years of aftercare after surgery. This is common in weight loss communities. One doctor I met with wanted $8000- and another group that is well-known wants $10,000-, so $3000- is very reasonable.

I have a friend I can borrow the money from...but I've borrowed from him twice in the last two years and I really hate to ask him again. He's been there for me time and time again, and I would really like to not have to ask him. Either that or my in-laws. I'd rather forgo the surgery than ask them for a dime. I don't know anyone else who could afford to loan me that kind of money.

Also, I thought I would be working on a big project right now--about $6000- worth of project, but the client decided the time wasn't right for them right now, so he's postponed the project. And now I discover I'll be having the surgery 5 hours away in Pasadena. I'll also need to stay in a hotel for a week or so post-surgery to get checked, and also pay for taxis, since I won't be able to drive. R will be with me throughout the surgery, but he has to go back to work the Tuesday after Surgery (it's on a Friday, March 14). My mom can stay with me, but she doesn't drive. She lives in Orange County, which, during traffic, can be a long way away, thus the hotel.

So there you have it. I'm not out trying to rip anybody off, buy new furniture, or take an exotic trip. I just want to get healthy so I can go back to work. Right now I'm not capable. I'm usually sick or feeling ill on a daily basis. I miss work, I miss being with people, I miss making money.

If you'd like to help me do that, I'll be forever grateful. But please, don't feel any obligation. I have no high expectations. It is what it is.

Thank you for taking the time to read to the end. I appreciate it!

If anyone wants to look at our monthly budget, just ask and I'll e-mail a copy to you. I keep it in a spreadsheet. I just don't feel comfortable putting it on the web, and my husband wouldn't like that either (and he's the breadwinner.)

No comments:

Post a Comment