Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Listing

It's time to start making lists. I'm making them in my head sort of like Arya's prayer/hit list in the Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin (you may know it better as "A Game of Thrones":  "Raff the Sweetling, the Tickler, the Hound, Sir Gregor, Sir Ilyn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei...."

Only mine looks more like this:

  • Chapstick
  • Hand Cream
  • Slippers *buy a slip on pair
  • Yoga Pants
  • Undies--multiple pairs
  • Nightgowns
  • Kindle
  • Reading material
  • Vitamins
  • Ad infinitum
I'm going to have a list for the two nights I'll be spending in SoCal to see the surgeon, pre-register at the hospital, pick up my mom, do a bowel prep, and then any time I'll be staying in SoCal post-op.

Then the hospital list.

Then a list for all my medications and vitamins, and special foods I'll need like cream soups, broth, popsicles, Jell-O, etc. for the two days prior to surgery. And it's early in the morning, thank g*d, because I know I'll be hungry.

So I'm thinking I need three lists:

1. Hospital
2. Pre-hospital
3. Post-hospital

I'll start it tomorrow as I also plan to catch up on housework tomorrow. The laundry is mostly caught up--I have one load going right now out in the garage, but it's time to vacuum up the cat hair that lingers in the corners, dust, and clean the bathrooms, along with regular kitchen duties.

I finished the appendix I was working on last night around 4am. I was going to treat myself to a movie, GRAVITY, via On Demand (which I've not once used since we moved here), but by then I was wiped. I read for about 20 minutes and then passed out like a vampire at sunrise, and was out of it until 1 o'clock. Even that was a struggle.

So I watched GRAVITY today. I was disappointed that Sandra Bullock didn't win the Oscar for this film, but now that I've seen it, I can say, I understand why now. Don't get me wrong, it was a fine role and well done, but it wasn't her best effort. Still, I enjoyed it.

I want to see if I can get AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY on demand. The play/book was damn good. And eerily like so many families I know, mine included (dysfunctional).

Also: Once my reimbursement shows up? This girl is getting a pedicure. My last one was in August. My feet look terrible. It's ridiculous. Ugh. One of the problems being overweight is that I can't reach my toes to paint them. I can, just barely, but it's usually a mess because I have to stretch so far and it just gets all over. I'm looking forward to giving myself pedicures in the future.

Tomorrow: Listing.

6 comments:

  1. Check with your surgeon about polish on the tootsies. In all the bajillion surgeries I have had it was not allowed because they needed to see my nails for circulation. I have heard some don't mind a pedi though. Biggest thing I can recommend (besides chapstick!) Is a pillow. You will need it to hold against your tummy on the car ride from the hospital, and for about a week after everytime you cough or sneeze. It was a life saver! And chargers for you cell and kindle. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post-hospital: consider a muumuu-type loose dress rather than (or in addition to) something with a waist band for lounging/going out on during the first few weeks after surgery. You'll probably wake up from surgery in a binder, have j-tubes to deal with initially, and something without a waist is easier to navigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree. I had no drains but anything around my belly was unwelcome.

      Delete
    2. I got my pedicure today. Plum-colored polish with tiny sparklies in it. I'll ask the surgeon on Thursday if the polish needs to come off. When I had my ankle surgery, I had royal blue polish on my nails. LOL No one said a word.

      My binder of instructions from the surgeon says to bring a "shirt that opens in the front" to wear home, so I assumed that meant with pants....so thus the yoga pants? But I can do a mumu. Question is, can I find one that buttons up the front. Hmmm. I've got to have chapstick. I keep it on the nightstand, by my desk. by the TV, and in my purse. :D I had a bad sunburn (with blisters on my lips) when I was eleven and my lips are always dry. If you think of anything else, let me know. One of my Kindle chargers disappeared when we were at my in-laws last month. I hope one of the housecleaners found it, because now I'm down to one. Thanks!! J.

      Delete
  3. Google "packing lists" for DS surgery. Why reinvent the wheel? Toe polish was not a problem with this doctor. DO pack ear plugs. I was in the hospital for 4 days and nights, and I couldn't sleep AT ALL for all the noise. Bring your normal meds. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really didn't use that much of my own stuff in the hospital, but if you are hotelling it, you might want to get a case of water, protein powder, and your favorite toiletries. I liked the Unjury unflavored protein powder to add to broth, coffee, tea, etc.

    ReplyDelete